Elder Levi Wise

Elder Levi Wise
"A missionary is someone who leaves there family for two years so others can be with their family for eternity"

Elder Wise has been on his mission:

Monday, April 2, 2012

GENERAL CONFERENCE WAS FANTASTIC! - April 2nd, 2012

Hello Mom :) and Family :)

General Conference was fantastic. I never enjoyed General Conference before my mission but the last two have been absolutely incredible. My favorite talk this last conference was by Elder Hallstrom, he talked about the difference between the "Gospel" and the "Church". He answered the question "Why could someone who seemed to be so active in the church fall away?" Because they only had a testimony of the church, but not the gospel. I know how important the Gospel of Jesus Christ is, it is the way to return back to our Heavenly Father. It is the ONLY way. We have to live the Gospel of Jesus Christ to live in the Celestial Kingdom with our family.

Although we had a great week this week with General Conference and they many miracles that our happening in the area I am serving in, we had a very depressing thing happen last night. We had an investigator named Melissa who was going to get baptized this Saturday. Unfortunately, Satan got hold of her and now she doesn't want to meet with us anymore and is making some poor decisions. It has been really sad because it seemed like she gained a sure witness that it was true. It was sad.(Satan knows our Achilles heels...RIGHT where to attack us at our weakest points. If we do not stay focused, he uses so many distractions to take us off our path. I know...I have been there!) 

But, on the brighter side. Steven will be getting baptized on April 14th :). And we also met with a girl this week named Jessica who is really prepared and ready to receive the gospel. She accepted a date for April 22nd and we are praying she will gain her own testimony. Vivian also found a family for us to teach this week. She actually has found as a few people to teach already. She is doing incredible, and has a very strong testimony.

One thing I have learned this week is the importance of having faith in the Holy Ghost to bear witness of the truth, and to pray for it. That is the absolute only way they can find out for themselves it is true. I have felt that this had made me a much better missionary. I also am trying to use more stories in teaching. It seems to me that all the Apostles and President Monson use stories constantly throughout their talks, and so does my Mission President. In an email this last week from President Barry he was telling us how he was giving a talk in a Stake President Council or something and he couldn't think of any stories and his teaching had no power. I then realized that stories provide powerful avenues for the Holy Ghost to bear witness.

I know this work is of God and that it will go forth until the second coming of the Messiah. I know the blessing that come from sacrifice. "Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of Heaven" was reiterated many times throughout General Conference this weekend. It is a phrase from the song "Praise to the Man". That is one of my favorite songs and I know that sacrifice does bring forth the blessings of Heaven. As long as we are sacrificing for God. JST Mark 8:37 says "For whosoever will save his life, shall lose it; or whosoever will save his life, shall be willing to lay it down for my sake; and if he is not willing to lay it down for my sake, he shall lose it." We must be willing to lose our life for God, and we will be saved :).

It sounds like you all had a blast at the Timbers game :) It sounded like fun :) I hope everything else is going well and I hope you all have a great upcoming week.

Love,
Elder Wise

p.s. I love I Pads and lds.org, because if you don't know where the scripture is you just type in keywords and the scripture pops up. IT IS AMAZING.. Missionaries NEED THIS TOOL :) Or I just need to memorize the references :)

No comments:

Post a Comment